“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.”
~ Henry David Thoreau
Life is about learning and personal growth. Whether you are a tween, teen, young
adult, adult, or parent of one, the evolution of personal growth can be both gratifying and confusing. Personal Growth resources include:
- Events – List of upcoming personal growth events
- Self-Awareness – developing character, assessing personality preferences, understanding values
- Confidence & Self-Esteem
- Motivation & Inspiration
- Goal Setting – setting goals, creating vision “boards”
- Leadership Potential – developing leadership potential, attending community service organizations
May 27, 2011 – The Young Women’s Leadership Program: Are you going to be a high school junior or senior this fall? Learn more about yourself with the Young Women’s Leadership Program. Deadline is fast approaching!
Being clear about yourself helps you make better life decisions. Therefore, being self-aware helps to make sure your actions are in alignment with your character, personality preferences, and values.
- Character Development – List of attributes to help give you a stronger character.
Assessing Personality Preferences
- “What Kind of Thinker are You Quiz” — Try the quiz to find your thinking style.
- Jung Typology Test™ — Shortened version of the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI). Provides a description of your personality type.
- Role Model Profiler — Results provide a list of celebrities’ names considered the best role models for a test taker. This test is $3.
- Core values Assessment – Assess and analyze your values.
- Defining Values – Based on 7 values for leadership success. Nicely defines values.
- Louis Vuitton Core Values – Where will life take YOU?
CONFIDENCE & SELF-ESTEEM
Confidence and self-esteem are the ways you think and feel about yourself. Having a healthy dose of self-esteem and confidence can lead to a more successful and satisfying life. They can be gained at any time in your life.
- Developing Self-Esteem & a Positive Attitude — Workbook to define, assess, and develop self-esteem.
- How to Develop Self-Esteem — Tips and resources
- Building Self-Esteem: A Self-Help Guide — Great tips and resources.
- How to Build Self-Confidence — Tips along with a helpful and entertaining video.
- 10 Ways to Instantly Build Self-Confidence — Great Tips.
MOTIVATION & INSPIRATION
Motivation causes us to act, whether it is to eat to reduce hunger or read a book to gain knowledge. Inspiration is the process of being mentally stimulated to do or feel something, especially something creative.
- How To Motivate Yourself – Self Motivation — Great tips.
- How to Motivate Yourself: 4 Timeless Thoughts — Tips and quotes to inspire.
- Motivate and Inspire Someone Today – Tips and video on various ways to motivate and inspire yourself or others.
- You want something. Go get it. Period. – YouTube excerpt from “The Pursuit of Happiness.”
- Famous Failures – Video about famous people who struggled for success.
- Our Deepest Fear . . . – Inspiring video including the poem about facing our deepest fears.
- Traffic Wear — Uses universally common visual symbols to promote the valuable themes of leadership, character and prevention.
Harvard Business School study showed that the top 3% of successful people are successful because they have written, specific goals. What do you want change in your life? Setting Goals and using a vision “board” can help you get there.
- Goal Maker: Why Set Goals
- Powerful Written Goals In 7 Easy Steps!
- Stay focused – Collection of motivational quotes, sayings and thoughts.
Creating Vision “Boards”
- Making a Vision Board – One of a series of YouTube videos on creating vision boards.
- Digital Dream Board — FREE online system to help you create your own “vision board.”
- The Complete Vision Board Kit – Book and kit by John Assaraf.
- The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Vision Boards — Book by Marcia Layton Turner.
- The Vision Board – Book by Joyce Schwarz.
- Goal Achievement through Treasure Mapping: A Guide to Personal and Professional Fulfillment – Book by Barbara Laporte and Cindy Rogers.
- The Lifeboard – A vision board kit.
- The Secret to You HD – Inspiration to help visualize YOUR goals.
- Daily Affirmations to Change your life – Grab a few affirmations for your “board.”
Developing leadership during adolescence can enhance self-esteem, prevent risky behavior, and serve as a springboard for successful adulthood. Here are some ways to development the leadership potential as well as a list of community service organizations specifically design to development leadership potential in girls and young women.
Developing Leadership Potential
- The Young Women’s Leadership Program – Developed by Center for Creative Leadership (CCL), the curriculum of the multi-phase leadership program addresses some of the challenges girls expect as a high school junior or senior in the fall.
- Youth leadership: A Guide to Understanding Leadership Development in Adolescents
- Risk Attitudes Profiler
Attending Community Service Organizations
- Girl Scouts — World’s preeminent organization dedicated solely to girls—all girls—where, in an accepting and nurturing environment, girls build character and skills for success in the real world.
- Sprites – Began in 1968 as an organization to teach teen girls, grades 7-12, the value of volunteering in their community, while building strong relationships with others.
What does this have to do with “personal growth”? For many teens, driving is one of the key teen privileges which helps gain a sense of independence from parents and further establish a sense of identity. With privileges, comes responsibility. Here are some tips on how to obtain and maintain a driver’s license.